Browse the materials below to boost your IR knowledge and read more about some of the most recent publications from the European Trainee Forum.
Suggested reading for IR trainees
European Curriculum and Syllabus for Interventional Radiology
This curriculum provides a standardised interventional radiology training guideline that covers: objectives, learning methods, outcomes, supervision and assessment. It also includes a syllabus which aims to facilitate the development of the clinical and technical skills necessary to carry out safe and effective IR treatments.
The CIRSE European Trainee Forum’s survey on international mobility
Learn more about how young interventional radiologists, IR fellows, and residents view working abroad in order to develop their careers in IR. A group of ETF Subcommittee members compiled this summary based on the findings from the CIRSE European Trainee Forum’s survey and found what factors increase the motivation to work abroad.
Medical students’ perspectives on IR: A European survey from CIRSE’s European Trainee Forum
Read up on how medical students around the world perceive interventional radiology and what their thoughts are when it comes to the future of IR and their careers in general. This summary based on the CIRSE medical student survey results was written up by a group of the ETF Subcommittee members and shares the initiatives that the ETF is planning to launch in order to increase the awareness of interventional radiology among medical students.
Status of vascular and interventional radiology training in Europe
For the first time ever, CIRSE has published a report conducted by the ETF Subcommittee. 25 members of the subcommittee, representing 24 countries throughout Europe, provided valuable input concerning the status of IR training in their countries. This provides an enlightening look at how different IR training remains throughout Europe, and highlights the importance of having trainee committees within national societies in order to ensure the future growth and sucess of the specialty.
- The History of the EBIR
- CIRSE Standards of Practice on Varicocele Embolisation
- Medical Devices in Europe—Is Our Community Aware of What May Lie Ahead?
- Ambulatory Care in IR
- CIRSE Standards of Practice on Arterial Access for Interventions
- Bringing Interventional Radiology to Mars!
- Understanding Leadership and its Vital Role in the Growth of Interventional Radiology
- Putting BEST-CLI into Perspective: Think like a Doctor, not a Proceduralist
- CIRSE Standards of Practice on Oesophageal and Gastroduodenal Stenting
- The CIRSE ETF Survey on International Mobility
- ChatGPT’s Potential Role in Interventional Radiology
- 2022 Update of BCLC Treatment Algorithm of HCC: What’s New for Interventional Radiologists?
- Prime Time for Artificial Intelligence in Interventional Radiology
- Standards of Reporting—Another Hurdle to Get a Manuscript Accepted?
- Extra, Extra: Read all About it—This is TIPS Generation, Baby!
- CIRSE Standards of Practice on Thermal Ablation of Bone Tumours
- CIRSE Standards of Practice on Bronchial Artery Embolisation
- The Impact of COVID-19 on Interventional Radiology Practice Worldwide: Results from a Global Survey
- Commentaries on locoregional challenges in IR: an international perspective
- Radioembolization: Same Player Shoots Again
- Accreditation in Interventional Radiology: Why it Matters and Why we Sought IASIOS Certification
- Musculoskeletal Embolotherapy: Past, Present, and Future
- CIRSE Clinical Practice Manual
- CIRSE Standards of Practice on Percutaneous Transhepatic Cholangiography, Biliary Drainage and Stenting
- CIRSE Standards of Practice on Conducting Meetings on Morbidity and Mortality
- Re: Future Interventional Radiologists and Where to Find Them—Insights from Five UK Interventional Radiology Symposia for Junior Doctors and Medical Students
- How to Measure/Calculate Radiation Dose in Patients?
- CIRSE Standards of Practice on Below-the-Knee Revascularisation
- CVIR Special Issue on Radiation Protection
- Medical Students’ Perspectives on IR: A European Survey from the European Trainee Forum (ETF)
- Commentary on “Vascular and Interventional Radiology Training: International Perspectives and Challenges”
- Vascular and Interventional Radiology Training; International Perspectives and Challenges
- The Interventional Radiology Clinic Teaching Model: Survey of IR Residency Programs
- Future Interventional Radiologists and Where to Find Them–Insights from Five UK Interventional Radiology Symposia for Junior Doctors and Medical Students
- Is IR an Essential Hospital Service? Analysis of Trauma Procedures at a Level 1 Centre During the First Wave of COVID-19 Pandemic in Australia
- The Female Threat
- Establishing a Platform for Interest and Education in Interventional Radiology Amongst Radiology Trainees
- Interventional Radiology Awareness Among Clinicians at Muhimbili National Hospital, Tanzania
- Post-procedural Care in Interventional Radiology: What Every Interventional Radiologist Should Know-Part II: Catheter Care and Management of Common Systemic Post-procedural Complications
CVIR Endovascular articles
- Interventional radiology in woman’s health: room for improvement
- Fostering clinical practice in IR regardless of (sub) specialty status
- Implementation of lasting changes to sustainability in Interventional Radiology is a top-down governance challenge
- Sustainability within interventional radiology: opportunities and hurdles
- A prospective cross-sectional study assessing teaching of interventional radiology across 20 Australian medical schools, endorsed by the Australian Medical Students Association
- Sustainability in interventional radiology: are we doing enough to save the environment?
- Prostatic artery embolization in men with severe hemophilia a: a case report of two patients
- A rare case of left inferior vena cava presenting with May-Thurner syndrome
- Complication rates of percutaneous brachial artery puncture: effect of live ultrasound guidance
- Stop turning a blind eye!
- Prostate artery embolization: increasing self-referrals and awareness of treatment options
- Extra, Extra, read all about it!
- “Pigtail through snare” technique: an easy and fast way to retrieve a catheter fragment with inaccessible ends
- Endovascular treatment of arteriovenous graft dysfunction as a result of graft delamination and fracture
- Intra-arterial anaesthetics for pain control in arterial embolisation procedures: a systematic review and meta-analysis
- A call to action; an open letter to WHO from the interventional radiology community
- The rocky road to recognizing interventional radiology as a full clinical specialty
- Paediatric IR: the evidence for best practice is growing
- Adrenal vein sampling: technique and protocol, a systematic review
- Complicated embolisation of late endoleak via direct sac puncture: not all endoleaks are a type II endoleak
- Retrieval of a dislodged porth catherer with inaccessible tips in a pediatric cancer patient
- Role of interventional radiology in line insertion on intensive care during the Covid-19 pandemic
- To the editor: Interventional radiology in the COVID-19 era: Crisis and opportunity
- IR voices about COVID 19
- Audit of electronic operative documentation in interventional radiology: the value of standardised proformas
- Pelvic vein embolization: an assessment of the readability and quality of online information for patients
- Unnecessary hysterectomies and our role as interventional radiology community
- European Society for Vascular Surgery (ESVS) 2020 clinical practice guidelines on the management of acute limb ischaemia; a word of caution!
- The Challenges of New Endovascular Technologies
- Trends and implications of 24/7 interventional radiology in a newly opened acute hospital
- Letter to Editor – What makes a sustainable 24/7/365 Interventional radiology service
- Prostate embolization: patient selection, clinical management and results
- Implementation of uterine artery embolization for symptomatic fibroids in the Netherlands: an inventory and preference study